Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Settling In and Getting Comfortable



Just after the last post a whole team of neurologists shuffled into the room. Their leader had some sort of eastern European accent, but I don't know from where. Another had a very strong African accent, but I don't know from where. The last one was American, and again, I don't know from where, but she spoke the least of them anyhow. They poked the boy here and there, checked his reflexes, bent his arms and neck up and down and mumbled back and forth to each other. I'm not sure they understood each other any better than I understood any of them, but after much brow furrowing, nodding and harumphing they seemed pleased.

They did say he was less stiff than when he was first examined almost a week ago, and that they would like to conduct another hearing test before he leaves the hospital. There is some connection, though I don't think it's exactly known why, between Hirschsprung's and deafness. They just want to be on the precautionary side (that's beginning to sound like a refrain, let's hope it stays that way). They also said we should have his pediatrician perform another hearing test in about a year, when more accurate results will available.

Also, I've recieved a number of gentle corrections to an earlier post, I mentioned that his PICC line had a red LED with it. I was mistaken. The LED is another device altogether, called a Flux Capacitor. Wait, I mean Pulse Oximeter, yes, that's it. It's actually an ingenious little device that measures the oxygen level in his blood by monitoring the changes in wavelength of light shining through his skin as his vessels pulse in time with his heart. Without it the O2 levels could not be monitored but by repeated blood work. The Wikipedia article on it is pretty good, it's where I got all my info, at any rate.

Alasdair has also had some pretty good fits of crying today, but usually followed by some very pleasant 'quiet alert' time. He is getting good at, and attached to, his pacifier. Initially he wanted nothing to do with it but he started using it yesterday. Today he only fusses when he doesn't have it.

And Jess is correct, his eyes are definitely browning. He's going to be a standout from my other two towheads certainly. I've put a couple pictures here and a few more on his Web Album.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Flux Capacitor lol nice....